This is a major factor that influences your metabolism – and it’s something you have complete control over.
It’s WORKING OUT.
If you don’t think exercise adds up all that much, check this out.
Let’s say you are a 35-year-old woman who is 5’6” (180 cm) and weighs 150 lbs. (68 kg) – and you work at a sit-down job and you don’t exercise.
Every day you would burn an estimated 1,670 calories.
Then … let’s say you decide to do a cardio workout 4-5 days a week, for 30 minutes. Your daily estimated calorie burn (to maintain your weight) would jump to about 2,000 calories a day!
WOAH, right?! Over the course of a week, that’s more than 2,300 extra calories.
[Want to see for yourself? Check out this free online calculator: https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html]
Here are some other things to know about exercise and your metabolism:
Working out is good for your gut health … and your gut health is good for your weight!
Studies show that regular exercise makes for more healthy bacteria inside your digestive tract – and more healthy bacteria is linked to being at a “normal” weight.
It cuts stress … and that’s good for your weight because it can lower the level of stress hormones in your system.
It helps improve your sleep … and that (you guessed it!) is also good for your metabolism!
If you want to take your workouts to the NEXT LEVEL … there are two specific kinds of workouts that can give you an extra metabolic boost.
- Workouts that use resistance training (like weight lifting) can help build muscle, which helps raise your resting metabolism so you burn more calories round-the-clock (this isn’t a huge number, but we’ll take it anyway!).
- Workouts that include high-intensity intervals – basically alternating “intense” bouts with easier recovery periods – can also help you torch more calories than regular steady-state cardio in a shorter period of time.
[If you are looking for help on training and working out affectively, find out about our membership options here.]
And importantly, there are MORE reasons to exercise beyond any effect it has on your weight or appearance.
- It helps keep your blood sugar balanced.
- It can help protect you from many diseases, from heart disease and hypertension to diabetes.
- It’s a natural mood booster.
- And it helps keep your mind and ability to focus sharp!
-360 Fitness Team